Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tall Tales...A.K.A. #@!! Was That a Bird?!

My mom and I have this tendency of going on runs together where a handful of ridiculous things happen.

One time (back in California) we were running at 7am on a fairly remote trail when a group of cholos decked out in swag and some seriously dapper threads come around the corner and start walking off the trail into a really big, random gully.

Seriously one month later a few good people went into that gully and shortly after there was the biggest marijuana bust ever seen in SoCal.

Yesterday, nothing that cool happened. But we did get dive bombed by an honest-to-goodness bird. I almost stepped on a rattlesnake and there was a bear apparently chilling out in the area.

By the end of that run, I was so on edge that a bike came up behind me and I let out a string of expletives enough to make a sailor blush.

And the guy on the bike was probably like, "Chill out, lady...a bear doesn't sound like a bike, right? Sort it out."

Anyway, we've been running to the top of the Y during the week (this particular run was rerouted due to search and rescue operations. Dramatic.) and Luke and I took Finn up there last weekend. While we just hiked up for about 10 minutes it has become apparent that this boy likes to spin a tall tale...since then he has been telling people:

I climbed that tall, tall mountain ALL BY MYSELF.
I touched the Y!
I climbed to the top of the MOUNTAIN.

I fully support exaggeration especially when it makes you seem manlier than you actually are. Work it, kid.

Isla, if recent goings-ons are to tell, will be following his footsteps up that mountain in a very literal way.

As of late, when Finn runs around yelling, Isla runs around yelling.
He throws something. She throws it too.
He climbs onto the bed. She finds a way to CLIMB ON THE BED, TOO.

The best is when he is talking with hand gestures because she sits there and copies him to a tee. It's unreal.

Thankfully, he not only doesn't mind, but it, perchance, has increased their sibling-y bond. She can't go too close to the stairs without him grabbing her and pulling her back (even though she can go down the stairs on her own). She can't go too close to any ledge at the playground without him yelling at me to come grab her. Put something untoward in her mouth? He's taking it out, thankyouverymuch.

There's still a lot of pushing and shoving and toy-taking so I still feel balanced. Thank goodness.

 Finn's gymnastics graduation picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment