Friday, July 6, 2012

Don't Mess...

You know those days when you just don't feel like putting up with other people's crap?

Even if those other people are 5 year old kids with their mom within earshot?

Yeah, I have those days.

We went to the library yesterday and as usual, Finn guns it to the train set they have there...usually there are other kids there and usually they share trains.  

Usually.

As soon as Finn got there, these two kids started ripping every train Finn tried to play with out of his hands. And Finn doesn't really get it. You know, because he's not even two yet? Most of the time I let him figure it out on his own...learn social norms, play fair, I don't want to be that mom...all that.

Most of the time.

This time, momma bear wasn't up for it. It went down, yo...

I started out (relatively)  nice:
"Guys, share."
"Seriously, share the trains...he just wants one."

Then sh** got real:
"You know what, kid? If you don't let him have one train, I'm gonna take them all."
"Seriously. Don't test me."

Then I hoped the mom (who was right there!!!) was listening. She wasn't:
"Ok, you know what, your mom obviously didn't teach you any manners. Learn some."

Finn runs off crying because the kids are still not sharing so I grab three trains out of spite so he can play with them somewhere else.

We all have bad days, what can I say...but mostly it just pisses me off when big kids take advantage of the little kids and then talk back to me. I never thought I had that protective instinct, but damn, I get all sorts of momma bear when Finn gets caught in the middle of it.

Thankfully, Finn realized we were in a library and a library filled with more than just trains...books! Go figure. He got all the Sesame Street books and would sit down and 'read' them to Isla. Holy crap, it was adorable. Even if she was asleep.

He seriously loves this little gal so much. The first words out of his mouth in the morning are, "Isla! Isla!" as he goes to find her. And  then all day he likes to try and pick her up (scary) and kiss her, lay next to her and put her pacifier in her mouth. He also loves saying goodnight to her.

Adorbs.

We'll see how long it lasts.

But for now I'm totally relishing it.

So there you go, learn your lesson...don't mess with my kids.

1 comment:

  1. lol! I totally get it. I was pretty sharp with some kids at the children's museum that first knocked one of the babies over while running (8 year olds in a room for toddlers = only good if they're nice) and THEN about knocked me over. Luckily I wasn't too rude....and luckily their parents instituted a quick march out of the space. Knock over the just-learned-to-walk baby? I don't think so my friend. Then we laughed later at just how mad I was in proportion to the crime....because baby wasn't hurt at all. Just blinked and got up and started toddling off while steam went out of my ears and I tried to be mostly nice.

    ReplyDelete