Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How It All Went Down...

You want an awesome labor story? You got it!

(Why are these stories so obligatory for the blogging world? I don't know.)

So contractions. They started on Saturday morning and I was like, 'sweet! Lets get this party started!' even though they weren't so painful that I was convinced it was really 'go' time. We went to the hospital when they were about 8 minutes apart because everyone told me that with second kids labor goes by a lot faster and frankly, I didn't want to deliver a baby in the car.

Gross.

They sent us home an hour later because my gut instincts were correct...thundercats were not go.

We were back 3 hours later because the contractions were stronger and 3-5 minutes apart.

They sent us home an hour later...again. And told me to relax. Yeah. Sure thing. We ordered pizza and wings on the way home because I was all emotional about the fact that I was in some amount of pain and people were ordering me to chill out about it.

That's when the fun started!

We ate pizza and wings and started watching Sherlock (yes!) but I was like 'holy mother of batman, these contractions are KILLING me.' It was BAD.

I really didn't want to go back to the hospital only to be sent home again and have the nurses laugh at me behind my back (that happens, right?), but I was swearing like a sailor and could hardly walk so we went and it was probably good timing because...

...suspense...

...my water broke as I was getting out of the car. Super gross feeling but it meant we were good to go. Oh, and I was 7cm dialated. I'll do the math for you. In 3 hours I went from 2cm to 7. Unmedicated. Ouch.

Since I was in a lot of pain but wanted (past tense!) to go sans drugs, I compromised and got an epidural but wasn't hooked up to any medication. Which means I could still feel my legs...and all that...but it was just dulled down a bit.

Compromises are awesome.

2 hours later Isla was born!

36 uneventful hours after that we went home!

We've been home for a day and so far so good. My mom is here and Luke is taking a few days off work so basically I'm home free.  Now if only I could leave the house for more than a minute...

Finn is adjusting just as I thought he would. He still runs around throwing things only now he has to avoid hitting a baby. He likes to pet her legs and when she cries he runs over with her pacifier (we get lucky if he doesn't put it in his own mouth first, though) and he likes to give her his toys. He also enjoys sitting in her bouncy chair which, as you can imagine, is much too small and pink for him.

But yeah, mostly just ignores her. Fine by me. It seems safer.

As for Isla...she's a doll. A doll with a set of lungs and high expectations. Takes after her momma :)
But really, she just sleeps and eats and stares at you and cries and basically is a newborn baby. Sometimes she honks like a goose when she's upset. Or squeaks. It's great.

What more can you ask?!


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Brittany! She is so beautiful! Just reading your/her birth story made me feel like I was having contractions...uh-oh! You described it perfectly. I'm so happy for you, Luke, and Finn! When things settle down I would REALLY like to come visit. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete