Friday, December 10, 2010

Hernia Shmernia...

...nothing can keep this boy down! Not even a nasty, double inguinal hernia surgery!

It all started on Tuesday when we were all geared up, packed up, pumped up and ready to go run some awesome errands...Finn was smiling and chattering away when all of a sudden he just started screaming in pain. It was probably the worst feeling in the world because I had NO idea what was wrong...and of course me, being the super helpful and useful person that I am, start running around like a chicken with my head cut off saying, "I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do..." Great. Way to go, Mom.

After a few more minutes of inconsolable screaming we pack up the car and head to the doctor...more "I don't know what to do"'s ensued as he continued screaming and I actually had to leave the exam room to avoid a complete and utter meltdown.

But I digress, the doctor found a large bulge in his groin area...ANOTHER big bulge in his groin area I should say...tee hee! And we were sent to SLC to Primary Childrens Hospital immediately because the hernia wouldn't retract and he needed emergency surgery before things got worse. By the way, I'm still freaking out at this point...just in case you thought I had pulled it together by then...nope.

Once we got to the hospital he had fallen asleep and when the doctor looked at him the hernia had retracted by itself and Finn was laughing and talking to the doctors as I'm promising them that he REALLY was in pain 30 minutes ago!

So surgery was scheduled for two days later to let the swelling go down and so yesterday morning we trekked down to the Great Salt Lake once more where he got to wear a super cute gown, and surgery was delayed for 2 hours, and he couldn't eat for 6 hours, and I had eventually pulled myself together...but eventually they stuck a camera down his belly button fixed the hernia, checked the other side and found another hole, fixed that and then sent the poor, sleepy, grumpy guy home a few hours later.





Ummm...so cute.






Post-op

No comments:

Post a Comment